Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Visiting the Titanic



After taking a ship to the exact coordinates of the RMS Titanic we boarded a Russian MIR submersible that would take us down to the shipwreck. The dive down into the abyss took under four hours. The sea life was like anything I’d ever seen.

After three and a half hours we finally observed the ship on the radar screen. My heart was pounding rapidly. Exactly 28 minutes had passed and we finally came upon the bow of the Titanic. It was simply awesome. I was stuck by how vast it was. We saw an old chest, suitcases that once belonged to immigrants, ceramics, shoes, you name it. The amount of shoes struck me – we saw pairs of shoes, side by side, seemingly trapped together. At the depth in the salt water, bodies and bones would have decomposed within a couple of years. Those shoes, I realized, were what remained of human bodies.

The experience was so shockingly real. We saw Captain Smith’s cabin, where Molly Brown slept and had lunch on the ship’s bridge. I later learned we were the first group of people to dine on the deck of the titanic since it sank in 1912. 

It took me several days to come down from that high. Experiences like that are contagious for me. 

Live with passion and dare to dream. Make your life an epic extraordinary adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment